rbldnsd and bind

Ken Anderson (Pacific Internet) ka at pacific.net
Fri Mar 26 21:29:32 UTC 2004

Hi,
I'm running rbldnsd on an antispam machine processing lots of mail that
is also running a caching bind nameserver. Sendmail does reverse lookups
using bind, and SpamAssassin also uses bind for rbl lookups. But I also
need to serve the sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org blacklists from rbldnsd on the
same machine. Currently, this works by bind forwarding the zone to to a
different port where rbldnsd is listening.

This works okay, but SpamAssassin would be quicker if it could talk
directly to rbldnsd without having to hit bind and then be forwarded to
rbldnsd for the rbl check.

SpamAssassin uses perl Net::DNS to do rbl lookups, so I don't think
there's anything on that end I can do - there's no way to specify an
alternate port for DNS lookups.

Any ideas how to get SpamAssassin to go straight to rbldnsd for a
particular zone?

Thanks,
Ken A