RR behavior

PT T pt_bind at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 16:35:10 UTC 2004

If an authoritative server is configured (and verified) to return a list of
A records with fixed order:

1.1.1.1

2.2.2.2

3.3.3.3

All client (or “local” or “recursive” or whatever the correct term is) DNS
servers will RR this list, regardless of TTL setting. However, if the same
server returns only 2 records instead of 3 in the order:

1.1.1.1

2.2.2.2

I find that some DNS servers pass the list order through to the client stub
resolver unchanged, while others re-order the list. The authoritative server
is BIND, I assume the client DNS servers are various versions of BIND, but
can’t be sure (I tried this on various providers, Adelphia, BellSouth,
Charter, Cox, SBC, etc.).

Can someone shed light on why the behavior with 2 A records is different
than with 3 on some servers? A variation in the RR algorithm between BIND
versions maybe? Also (not considering SRV records) is there any way to
influence this behavior from the authoritative server (e.g. prevent the RR
from happening)?

Thanks,

Pete.