Private network, and named still looks for root servers?

Brook Harty harty at ironwolve.com
Thu Mar 25 03:40:57 UTC 2004

I upgraded a solaris server from bind8 to bind9, and while doing a
snoop, I noticed bind9 was trying root servers. It shouldn't be
trying, and I don't know where its getting the root server list from.

I don't have root.hints, and /etc/resolv.conf points to local host.
Dig doesn't show any root servers. The server has its own zone files,
and is the master.

Questions, is this normal behavior? Are root servers built in? How do
I fix it.

I'm at a loss at where bind9 is getting the root servers, and amazed
at how much extra lookups I saw in the snoop for bind9 after
upgrading. I cut back to bind8, and didn't change anything in my
configs.

The only thing I could come up after reading the faq/google search,
was a patch called "nofoward" for bind4, but not a work around for
bind9. I dont want Internet lookups, so using "forward" doesn't sound
like the answer.

Any help appreciated.