HELP: Decomissioning a DNS anti-spam list

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Mar 21 00:29:59 UTC 2004

Ron,

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Anyway, I posted (in various places) an announcement back in September
> that I was shutting down my lists, and I posted a final ``end of life''
> announcement for the lists also about a month and a half ago.
>
> No, finally, I am _really_ trying to perform final decommissioning of
> my formed anti-spam DNS lists.  (But as the old saying goes, ``No good
> deed goes unpunished.'')

Why do you not just drop the DNS entries for your actual rbl host, much
like dnsbl and spamhaus have, why must you follow in the immature
footsteps of joe and osirusoft and just * everybody, this is again
immature, childish and damn right fucking stupid, it gives all RBL's a
bad name and makes ppl think twice about using *any* of them,  think of
the losses you have caused, that would have suceeded when your DNS was
not resolvable, much like dnsbl and spamhaus have done.

I have not used your RBL for some time, however I make these comments
for the admins who are not aware of it, contrary to what most think we have
far better things to do then always sift through the high signal to noise
ratios in newsgroups, we currently use dnsbl, spamhaus and njabl, the
first two no longer serving, their web sites last time i looked didnt tell
me they were closing so ill leave in but monitor it, but mail is still
able to pass if OK'd by njabl because they have taken an appropriate
measure and not a damaging one, I wonder how well you'll go if someone
losses a big contract because there mail was rejected by your blanket
reject, your losses if proven (at least in a court in my country) will be
a damn sight bigger than your lack of bandwith and resources.

> The problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot seem to stop the
> ongoing torrent of queries against the zones, which are coming from

see above, and if you cant figure out how to do it, you shouldnt be in
this game.

--
Regards,
Res