question about CNAME and MX

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Mar 19 08:30:43 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> BTW, why did you even think that the second domain needs an MX record of
> its own?  It's the same as the MX record for the target of the CNAME, so
> it would automatically get it from there anyway.  Are you under the
> impression that CNAME records are only followed when looking up A
> records, and not for other records?  That's not how it works -- the name
> is an alias for *all* types of lookups.

The problem can be, that any @comceptsolutions.com destination address
@would be rewritten by sender MTA's (if they follow the RFC) to
@comcept.net, if he used "comceptsolutions.com. CNAME comcept.net.

So, if he wants to avoid such rewrites (already on sender sites), he will
just have to avoid CNAME and define both A and MX.

BSE = Mad Cow Desease ... BSA = Mad Software Producents Desease