zone transfers sticking on one port?

Chris Fabri fabric at northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 16 21:30:13 UTC 2004

At 03:20 PM 3/16/2004, Barry Margolin wrote:
>In article <c37p3i$303a$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Chris Fabri <fabric at northwestern.edu> wrote:
>
> > Let me provide a little more data that I hadn't really considered until
> > now.   We're also blocking several other ports that are > 1023.   Was only
> > seeing this problem with port 39999.     I would expect the same behavior
> > when it hits these other blocked ports.     Is there something different
> > about 39999?     These blocks are tcp/udp.    In this case I would expect
> > to see the same problem for every blocked port, but this wasn't the case.
>
>What's the chance that the random port selection would run into one of
>those other ports you're blocking?

Shouldn't it be the same for any port in this range?    Maybe if I had
looked at this at a different time it would have been a different
port?    Once I figured out this was the problem, I made sure that we
weren't hitting any of the blocks for the nameservers, so I didn't observe
this happening over any great length of time, so it's certainly possible
that we had this problem with other ports.

Barry, it sounds like from one of your previous posts that named will pick
one udp port and stick with that.   A restart would solve the problem, but
only temporarily, and at some point I'd start seeing this message.   chris