zone transfers sticking on one port?

Chris Fabri fabric at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:15:35 UTC 2004

At 03:08 PM 3/15/2004, David Botham wrote:

>That's OK, I guess I left out the part about the fact that Zone Transfers
>use TCP, not UDP.  Perhaps your packet traces are not what you think they
>are?

Incremental transfers are UDP.  It's the full AXFR transfers or
incrementals that will need more than one packet that are transmitted
TCP.  At least that's how I understood my read of the bind 9 manual.

BTW, we've fixed the problem by exempting the nameservers from the port
block, so I'm fairly certain I was seeing the right stuff, since I started
seeing the return packets immediately after this change.   chris