zone transfers sticking on one port?

Chris Fabri fabric at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 15 20:57:51 UTC 2004

At 02:38 PM 3/15/2004, David Botham wrote:
>bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 03/15/2004 03:22:18 PM:
>
> > Why was named hanging up on this port?    Shouldn't it just brush this
>off
> > and try another port >1023?     This doesn't make any sense to me. chris
>

>No.  The brush off would happen if port 39999 was busy on your server (you
>would never see this by the way).  There is nothing in the protocol that
>says "if the remote system does not respond, change your source port".

I guess I left out the detail that I was getting this message
constantly.   I was getting the message a couple of times a second from a
server that we are exchanging full secondaries for (appx 350 zones).

Refresh time for these zones is 12 hours, retry 15 minutes.     I would
certainly expect to see this message periodically, but not with the kind of
frequency I was.

Or does this make sense, and I'm missing something?    chris