Why use Forwarders?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Mar 12 07:05:41 UTC 2004

Oli Comber <oli at niceltowers.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi List,

> I've had problems recently with my bind9 setup where resolution would b=
> very slow or not work at all when using Forwarders.

> Now I'm not using them, resolution is fine and dandy and very fast.

> It makes no difference to me whether I use Forwarders or not - I'm on a
> small home network, no need for load balancing.=20

> Why would one want to use a forwarder instead of doing a lookup
> directly?

Only when a nameservers has a limited connectivity to "the world". And
that is really very scarce cases.=20

> Does a DNS server have to be set up in a different way to be used as a
> forwarder?=20

> Can a server recognise that it is being used as a Forwarder and
> prioritise against that?

> I'm a bit confused - I don't like things that suddenly start working by
> magic!

Forwarding emerged as a special case to solve special problems. It's
nothing positive as such and should be avouded whenever possible.

> Thanks,
> -Oli

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,