Need some help with a BIND/network setup

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Mar 10 00:07:07 UTC 2004

Jason wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm having a little trouble with a sendmail and DNS setup. I was hoping
> to get some help here.
>
> Currently, I setup a sendmail server on our company network that is
> strictly going to act as our outgoing mail server for our users. The box
> is FreeBSD 4.9, running Sendmail 8.12.9 (patched). In addition to this
> box running sendmail, I also setup BIND 9, with the intentions of
> setting up private name server for our company, so users can access our
> web servers via hostname, instead of IP address. I also wanted to setup
> the BIND server to act as a caching name server for our LAN as well.
>
> With that in mind, let me also add the following:
>
> Currently, our ISP has control of our domain name. We have the option of
> using our ISP's DNS servers as well as their SMTP server. We are
> gradually going away from this.

Thought I would add some additional information here, in hopes of
helping find out what the problem is.

Here are the contents of the /etc/resolv.conf file, on the server that
has sendmail and BIND 9 running:

domain  mydomain.com
nameserver  192.168.1.165

Granted, im young to DNS and BIND here, but starting to realize a few
things. What im curious about is, since our ISP controls our domain and
it's nameservers are authoratitve for our domain, my thoughts are that,
i've buggered something up here.

I feel like it's right on the tip of my tongue, but can't place it. I
thought i'd post part of my named.conf, in hopes of finding the problem:

options {
         directory "/etc/namedb";

         forwarders {
                 216.xxx.xxx.xxx;
                 216.xxx.xxx.xxx;
         };
};

zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "localhost.rev";

It was recommended to me that I use the forwarders of our ISP to take
advantage of their DNS servers. Could this be a problem?

I'm close, very close I feel but just can't figure it out.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Jason