NS TTL Discrepancy??

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Tue Mar 9 04:53:19 UTC 2004

 >>Does BIND do this?  I was under the impression it doesn't -- I've seen
 >>plenty of times when a domain couldn't be resolved and it appeared to
 >>be because of this situation.  So I assume that when it's trying to
 >>resolve the hostnames in the NS records, it simply uses the standard
 >>resolution algorithm, and doesn't treat this loop as a special case.
 >

 > 	It treats nameservers specially and will walk back up the
 > 	heirachy looking for glue.  Determining when you should do
 > 	this is not always straight forward.  BIND 8.4 does a better
 > 	job that earlier releases.  Part of the reason BIND 8.4.2
 > 	got yanked is that code to work out how to do this had a
 > 	bad failure mode with lame servers and multiple IP stacks
 > 	(IPv4 + IPv6).

Does 'It' means any bind8, or bind8.3.4 or any bind9 or 9.2.3 or this is
not version depended?.

Once it found the glue from the parent it is not going to provide to the
recursive client anyway, isn't it?

As Mark said earlier, glue is not considered as an answer, so there will
have to be another step which will verify with the authoritative
servers, that provided glue is correct am I right?

What happen if the walk-back is unsuccessful?

Will bind ever provide the NS records, without fetching their
corresponding A records?

What if corresponding A record doesn't exist, let's say because of
mistake or connectivity problems?

Ladislav