How to configure multiple domains on a single delgation?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Mar 8 21:33:12 UTC 2004

> In article <c2ie9l$p5c$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim <me at privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > For discussion purposes:
> >   1) a.b.c.d/29 classless delegation
> >   2) a.b.c.1 is the delegation address (network)
> >   3) a.b.c.2 is not assigned or used.
> >   4) a.b.c.3 thru a.b.c.6 will be A.domain
> >   5) a.b.c.7 will be B.domain
> >   6) a.b.c.8 is the broadcast address.

	Well normally it would 0-7, 8-15, ...

> > Does the ISP have to create CNAME records for each domain?

	The ISP creates CNAME records for each reverse record in
	the /29 reverse space.  It is up to you to assign names to
	the machines in that space.  It doesn't matter which forward
	zone the names refer to.

	Parent zone: c.b.a.in-addr.arpa.
	@ SOA ...
	@ NS ...
	@ NS ...
	;
	0-7 NS <your name server>.
	0-7 NS <slave server>.
	0 CNAME 0.0-7
	1 CNAME 1.0-7
	2 CNAME 2.0-7
	3 CNAME 3.0-7
	4 CNAME 4.0-7
	5 CNAME 5.0-7
	6 CNAME 6.0-7
	7 CNAME 7.0-7

	Child zone: 0-7.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa.
	@  SOA ...
	@  NS <your name server>.
	@  NS <slave server>.
	;0 PTR unassigned
	;1 PTR unassigned
	2 PTR host1.A.domain.
	3 PTR host2.A.domain.
	4 PTR host3.A.domain.
	5 PTR host4.A.domain.
	6 PTR host1.B.domain.
	;7 PTR unassigned ; broadcast

	Your named.conf.
	zone "c.b.a.in-addr.arpa" {
		type slave;
		file "c.b.a.in-addr.arpa.db";
		masters { <ISP's nameservers>; };
	};

	zone "0-7.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa" {
		type master;
		file "0-7.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa.db";
	};

> > Or, as the ISP states:
> >   We have delegated your addresses to NS.A.domain. If you want to
> >   run a second domain, NS.A.domain is the authority for B.domain.
> >
> > This does not seem correct to me. a.b.c.1 points to a.b.c.3 as
> > A.domain. A.domain cannot reference B.domain in the zone file.
> >
> > Creating a nameserver on B.domain will do everything except a
> > reverse lookup as there is no glue record between it an ISP.
> >
> > Or is my understanding that lacking?
>
> I don't understand your questions at all, because you're confusing many
> terms.  Please re-post with the *actual* addresses you're using, so we
> can query the real DNS servers and see how they're set up.

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

Mark Andrews, ISC