Reverse Zone/subZone delegation

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 8 21:13:00 UTC 2004

In article <c2gp66$2tag$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Fredrich P. S. Maney" <maney at maney.org> wrote:

> > Caching servers shouldn't need any changes, they'll just follow the
> > delegations.  Slave servers may need to be updated; if you want them to
> > slave the subzones, they'll need statements for each of them.
>
> In the example I had the expiration set to one day (because I had just
> changed it to that), but it was set to more than 5 weeks. Should I wait
> until that time has expired before making the changes?

The Expire time in SOA records specifies how long the slaves will keep
the data when they have been getting errors trying to refresh from the
master.  When things are working properly, the expire time is
irrelevant.  And you shouldn't decrease it when you're about to make
changes -- if you screw up, you're likely to cause errors, and then the
slave servers will discard the old data.  Wouldn't you prefer them to
keep handing out the old data rather than total DNS failure?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA