More on Stats

tnaves at linkwest.net tnaves at linkwest.net
Wed Mar 3 20:48:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <c22j5e$163d$1 at sf1.isc.org>, tnaves at linkwest.net wrote:
>
> > As I said in my first post on this stats question, my two dns servers are
> > behind a firewall and serve only our internal hosts for locla dns and
> > Internet dns.  I only have three people using them as a pilot.  I am
> > conscerned about the high number of nxdomain errors when I perform an rndc
> > stats.  Here is the example:
>
> Why don't you turn on query logging, and look for the NXDOMAIN errors?

Great idea.  thanks for the tip.  Although query logging does not log
nxdomain errors as such, it gives some good hints as to the problem.

We are primarily a Windows shop.  If you connect to another Windoows box
via unc path, dns is not consulted.  Connecting to other Windows boxes in
other ways e.g., rpc or if a browser is configured to use a proxy server,
dns is consulted.  In my naivete I thought I could get by without putting
all my Windows hosts in dns.  I guess I can if I don't mind lookups that
are not in my dns databases.

I noticed also that if you mistype a domain name, in a url, for example,
dns trys to resolve the name, which surely results in an nxdomain error.
Then, to add insult to injury, my Windows resolver appends my domain to
the non-existing domain and logs another nxdomain error.

Thanks again.

Tom Naves