Lame Server\Won't Resolve

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 2 00:37:57 UTC 2004

Kris McElroy wrote:

>My domain is staffone.com
>I changed the Name Servers at my registrar's about 2 or 3 weeks ago to:
>NS1.staffone.com
>ns2.staffone.com
>ns3.staffone.com.
>
>When I log into ns1.staffone.com and run
>
>[root at ns1 log]# nslookup
>Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
>Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
>the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
>

>>staffone.com
>>

>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>

>>www.staffone.com
>>

>Server:         127.0.0.1
>Address:        127.0.0.1#53
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:   www.staffone.com
>Address: 208.188.175.3
>

>In the log files I get:
>Feb 27 11:19:02 ns1 named[1619]: lame server resolving 'ns1.staffone.com'
>(in 'staffone.com'?): 208.188.175.98#53
>
>Also when I go to
>http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=staffone.com I get an
>error about Lame Servers?  I am running Bind 9.2.2 on Fedora Core 1.  Any
>help would be appreciated.

What's the question? Both ns1.staffone and ns2.staffone.com are
answering for the staffone.com zone (although responses from ns1 are
intemittent), but not authoritatively. This indicates that the zone is
not configured properly in their named.conf files and/or they had
trouble loading the zone data from the zone file(s). Look in your logs
for further clues as to what the problem might be. Failing that, run
named-checkconf and/or named-checkzone (are those parts of BIND provided
with the Fedora Core?). The only nameserver which is answering
authoritatively for staffone.com is ns3.staffone.com. If something
happens to that one, your whole domain could go off the air.

                                                -Kevin