Getting started with BIND

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon Mar 1 23:59:48 UTC 2004

Evening everyone.

As the subject states, im getting started with BIND here. For help, I
went out and bought DNS and BIND, 4th edition from my bookstore. :)

I was hoping to ask a few questions here, just to answer a few things
i've been thinking about.

Currently, running FreeBSD 4.9, and installed BIND 9.2.2 via the ports
tree (using the option) PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9 to overwrite the old
BIND files (to prevent less confusion)

Anyway, my initial setup is to learn BIND and all the fun stuff in
between. Here is what I want to do.

I want to setup a private Nameserver for our private LAN that will
initially, not be accessible from the outside world. I also wanted to
setup a private name, something like internal.mydomain.com and then add
a few zone records to point to a few machines I have running on the network.

I understand how to create a zone file. I followed the book in doing so
and created a very simple zone record:

$TTL 1d
internal.mydomain.com.  IN SOA  scarydaemons.mydomain.com.
jwilliams.mydomain.com.      (
                                   2004030101 ; Serial
                                   1d   ; refresh
                                   2h   ; retry
                                   100d ; expire
                                   1h ) ; negative cache expiry

; name servers
                                 IN NS   scarydaemons
                                 IN NS   liquidmail

scarydaemons                    IN A    192.168.1.92
liquidmail                      IN A    192.168.1.94

; Hosts

localhost                       IN A    127.0.0.1
loanblade                       IN A    192.168.1.207

; nicknames
rack2                           IN CNAME loanblade

Like I said, simple, but playing with it.

For the most part, is that correct? I'm sure I have some errors in
there, but thought i'd ask.

My next question is regarding named.conf. I added the following:

zone "internal.mydomain.com" {
         type master;
         file "db.internal.mydomain";
};
*/

Obvisously, this is not complete. But I wanted to at least try it out.
When I start bind (ndc start)

Mar  1 15:50:39 scarydaemons named[168]: starting BIND 9.2.2
Mar  1 15:50:39 scarydaemons named[168]: none:0: open:
/etc/namedb/rndc.key: file not found
Mar  1 15:50:39 scarydaemons named[168]: couldn't add command channel
127.0.0.1#953: file not found
Mar  1 15:50:39 scarydaemons named[168]: none:0: open:
/etc/namedb/rndc.key: file not found
Mar  1 15:50:39 scarydaemons named[168]: couldn't add command channel
::1#953: file not found

I get some errors.
Right now, im reading through the book, trying to figure out what im
doing wrong.

In the meantime, anyone have some suggestions and recommendations? I do
appreciate it.

Jason