Please help with these DNS hiccups

Andrew fakeaddress at lan.com.nl
Wed Jun 30 05:09:17 UTC 2004

Hello There,

I seem to be slowly getting things happening but I have to pain you with
some questions.
My resolv.conf file has the following

domain eziekiel.com
search eziekiel.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1 listening
nameserver 192.168.0.2  (DNS server) listening

With only this in it I can not ping a host name through Firewall gateway on
192.168.0.1 but as soon as I add
192.168.0.1 which is the internal interface of my firewall & is also
assigned
DNS servers of my DSL provider it starts working. Also say I do a dig . If I
remove 192.168.0.1 & just leave my DNS IP's (127.0.0.1 & 192.168..0.2) it
hangs & comes back with
dig mx bmw.com
; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> mx bmw.com
;; global options: printcmd
& i get status: SERVFAIL,

Can you give me an educated guess on why ( I just don't know why it would be
the firewall that is the culprit) because I have allowed internal network
through as "any" & if you check my domain name "eziekiel.com" externally
through online DNS checking tools all seems fine. I mean when the checking
pages checks for config options of my internal machine it hits firewall with
request on port 53 & then this is forwarded to nominated 192. system which
then returns relevant info.

My confusion is, if the above works why than via a shell I get the timeouts
& errors above

Regards

Andrew