OT: Forwarding to your ISP

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed Jun 30 18:14:20 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 2004-06-30 11:51 am, Barry Margolin wrote:
> ISP servers are already handling a huge load, so it's not uncommon for
> them to be overloaded (even the best run ISPs occasionally encounter
> unexpected activity, or get deliberate DOS attacks), and you'll suffer as
> a result.

That seems pretty reasonable.  It would be introducing a single point of
failure where one need not exist.

> ...by the time it has been running for a while it will generally have all
> the popular sites cached locally, and it won't need to go out to any
> server.  Conversely, if there are sites that are accessed by hardly anyone
> but you, you'll force the ISP to cache these records...

[a light goes on]  Ahhh, I'd never considered that.  My own nameserver will
quickly cache, say, the MX record for isc.org while my neighbors probably
don't want that information.  That makes perfect sense and seems like a
good enough reason on its own.

I appreciate the reply, and I'll try to point others to it when it
(inevitably) gets asked again.
--
Kirk Strauser

-- Desc: signature