OT: Forwarding to your ISP

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed Jun 30 16:02:54 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 2004-06-29 12:54 pm, Barry Margolin wrote:
> You don't need to forward to your ISP's nameserver, just let your
> nameserver work its way down from the root servers.

Barry,

I apologize in advance for bringing this up, but it's always been my
understanding that the Internet is better off if everyone forwarded their
requests to their upstream provider (caching and all that).  I know this
has been discussed before, but the usual answer I've heard to the question
is along the lines of "search the archives".  I seem to be Google-impaired
because I've never found a concise summary of why directly querying the
root servers is better than forwarding.  Any chance you could point me
toward an explanation somewhere?  I'd like to make sure I'm following
current best practices.

Thanks,
--
Kirk Strauser