send NXDOMAIN to ISP DNS server?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 29 19:25:03 UTC 2004

In article <cbsd76$2cpl$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "187" <bigal187.invalid at adexec.com> wrote:

> Hello. I have a LAN with a DNS server to keep track of the lan
> computer's names (
>    h1.home.net   192.168.0.1,
>    h2.home.net   192.168.0.2,
>  that sorta thing.)
>
> I have a very simple setup:
>
> options {
>  directory "/etc";
>  pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
>  };
>

> zone "." {
>  type master;
>  file "/etc/LAN.hosts";
>  };
>

> zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>  type master;
>  file "/etc/LAN.rhosts";
>  };
>
> How can I have any random NXDOMAIN (non existant) domain, i.e.
> yahoo.com, be passed on to the isp's dns server to resolve the millions
> of domain names my local dns server could not possibly know about.

Why do you need to use your ISP's DNS server?

> Right if I go through nslookup I cna only resolve local names and ip's
> using the lan dns server.

Replace the root master zone with the standard root hints zone:

zone "." {
  type hints;
  file "named.root";
};

Put the LAN hosts in a private zone:

zone "home.local" {
  type master;
  file "LAN.hosts";
};

BTW, I recommend putting relative pathnames in the "file" statements,
not absolute paths; that way, if you decide to move them, you only have
to change the "directory" line in the options.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA