bind vs. MS DNS

David Smith l-bind at kdace.com
Tue Jun 29 00:00:29 UTC 2004

At 9:11 AM -0500 6/21/04, Barry Finkel wrote:
>At 11:44 AM 6/17/2004, Barry Finkel wrote:
>
>>>I believe that if one takes a DC and turns off self-registration in
>>>TCP/IP properties, then that DC will NOT register its SRV records in
>  >>DNS.  I believe that the registry setting referenced in MS article

No, it won't, however if you do have a dynamic zone for your AD main
domain the when you switch off the domain controllers from "register
this connection in DNS" it will REMOVE the dc's A records.  Since the
SRV records are basically fancy CNAME records your entire AD
structure stops working.  Kinda cool, in a test environment.