BIND record limit

Roy S. Rapoport bind9-users at ols.inorganic.org
Fri Jun 25 23:34:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 05:23:50PM +0200, David wrote:
> I have to manage a second level domain with about 15000 records.
> I just wanna know what are the software limitation about domains and record
> management.
>
> I'm using Bind 8 in a sun netra AC200 with sparc processor with solaris 8.

Don't think twice about it.  I just implemented
[aaaa...zzzz].test.inorganic.org on my home system, for a total of 456,976
additional A records (total 457,040) records.  named's taking negligible
CPU and 47Mb of RAM.  The machine's not noticed much of a difference (it
was different when I tried 26^6 records -- it took it many, many minutes to
try to load this, and I stopped at about the time that it took 1Gb of RAM).

(Machine specs: U2, 2x400MHz CPUs, 2Gb of RAM)

-roy