Sporadic resolution problems

Matthew Hoskison mhoskison at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 23:07:54 UTC 2004

> Possibly you should think along the line of access problems, ACLs,
> firewalls etc.
> Is there any pattern in who gets good results and who gets bad? Internal
> / external in some context?

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who gets successful resolutions and
who gets failures, other than the subjective observation that the majority of
the reports (aka complaints) of failure are from US clients.

I'm tempted to think it could be a firewall issue, since I beefed up the
iptables ruleset at roughly the time when the first issues were reported. ns1
is a box at rackshack, and ns2 is right here next to me on a Sparc through a
DSL link, so the only internal user in that respect is myself. Firewall issues
would affect all clients, and there has not been a significant decrease in
traffic *inside* the firewall on tcp/udp 53 since I changed the ruleset.

I could happily delude myself that it was nothing more serious than a couple of
packets dropping out for those who can't get resolution, if it were not for the
fact that ISC and Google's mail servers can't resolve my primary mail domain of
room41.net.

Amongst those domains I know to be experiencing problems are room41.net,
babysfirstsite.org and ill-behaviour.com. I'm at a loss as to where to look
next. I throw myself upon your collective wisdom!