Can I have a HPUX bind 4.9.7 slaved to a Solaris bind 9.2.2 master ?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jun 23 23:57:29 UTC 2004

    Terry> I have a HPUX bind 4.9.7 master server that I want to
    Terry> convert to a slave server.  I want to create a new master
    Terry> on Solaris bind 9.2.2.

    Terry> Question: will the V4.9.7 server accept zone transfers from
    Terry> V9.2.2 ??

Of course. Why shouldn't it? The zone transfer protocol hasn't
changed. However BIND9 by default tries a more efficient data transfer
scheme that long-dead stuff like BIND4 doesn't understand. This
behaviour can be switched off with BIND9's transfer-format option.
Consult the migration notes.

But you really should drag that BIND4 server out of the Stone Age and
upgrade it to BIND9. This is a far, far better solution than
persisting with dead, out of date and buggy software. The ISC web site
has details of a bunch of security problems with old versions of BIND4
and BIND8.