Question

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Wed Jun 23 16:10:36 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 08:25 am, Christoph Galuschka wrote:

> I would like to set up some domains who return an IP-address
> for www.domain.com and the same IP-address for
> domain.com.
>
> Can somebody please tell me what to write in the zonefile.

I can think of two ways to do this.

1) Create two A records; one for www.domain.com, and one for domain.com,
each resolving to the same IP#.

2) Create an A record for domain.com and a CNAME record for
www.domain.com resolving to domain.com.

Okay, okay, there's a third way; exactly the inverse of #2; let's call
it #3 <smile>.

Since I'm one of those who believe that we should only use CNAME record
to point to domain-parts in domains over which we have no control, I'll
recommend #1 above.

But either way will work.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation