bind9-users Digest V5 #155

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Jun 22 07:17:10 UTC 2004

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

>On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:14:42AM +0200, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>

>>Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
>>

>>>	Simple. If the file exist, you include it. If it doesn't, you
>>>don't. DHCP and PPP make sure that they create and destroy those files
>>>as needed.
>>>	If both files exist, the first file take precendence and the
>>>other definitions are added at the end, like if you were merging both
>>>files.
>>>	If you really want to be fancy, you can also use conditional
>>>blocks, to make some part of the config conditional to an interface
>>>beeing up. But, I don't think this is needed for the DHCP and PPP
>>>case, this is more for the static config case.
>>>	As I say, my proposal doesn't give you a complete solution,
>>>working out of the box, but it offer hooks so that, in conjunction
>>>with other scripts (PPP, DHCP, other), you can build the perfect
>>>solution.
>>>

>>Do you propose things to look like xinet.d with the includedir
>>statement? In that setup it might be much easier to avoid the messyness
>>of having everything mixed up in the same directory.
>>

>	Currently, I only have "include", which point to a single file
>(absolute path, the file can be wherever you want). I could add an
>"includedir" statement.
>	Note that most likely my proposal is dead in the water because
>Mark doesn't answer me.
>

>>Best regards
>>
>>Sten Carlsen
>>

>	Jean

You may be right, on the other hand; the only code that is affected is
the resolver code. DNS as such is not affected, BIND is not affected.
It might be possible to make a branch of the lwres that is meant for
mobile clients so people can choose what they need for this application
and OS. This seems to be what happens at the moment for Win, MAC and
some others. I am not sure about PDAs; I have never owned a PDA with
real network functions. Mobile phones (own browser) have their problems
solved at the operator according to the standards. Mobile phones as
modems will typically be equal to a PPP connection.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: