bind ddns ldap

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 21 20:00:12 UTC 2004

Marco Schirrmeister wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have setup bind 9.2.2 with an ldap backend as database and all works fine.
>
>My question is now, is it possible to use ddns with the ldap backend?
>I had not found any informations for this. Or is this a dhcp question?
>
>In a setup with flat files, is there the dhcp server updating the zone
>file, or is bind notified by the dhcp server and updates the zonefile by
>self?

Don't know about LDAP backends, since I've never used 'em.

Normally, the Dynamic Updates go to the nameserver (using the Dynamic
Update protocol extension, see RFC 2136) which then updates various
files and periodically dumps those combined updates into the zonefile
itself. Note that once Dynamic Update is enabled for a zone, the
zonefile is *no*longer* the most definitive source of zone data, and you
really shouldn't be looking at or modifying it directly. Look at the
data with regular queries or zone transfers. Modify the data *only* via
Dynamic Update.

- Kevin