dynamic DNS issues - DHCP

Bhikkhu Mettavihari bind at col7.metta.lk
Sun Jun 20 07:45:47 UTC 2004

* Eric Robibaro <robibaro at robibaro.com> [2004-06-20 03:37]:

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your explanation.

> >Why does one use DHCP on the client side and not just named ?

> That's because they don't do the same thing.  The dhcp client on your
> client side accepts a full network configuration.  The named server
> takes name and address queries and returns answers.

You say "full network configuration".
Does that mean:
that DHCP will do it all on the client side of my network that I described,
and named is not wanted in the private namespace.
I would be happy to have a link where to read more about DHCP,
some general literature. I have the installation HOW-TO from the net.
But it does not really describe the differences.

> >All my ip's on my network are local ip's in the range 172.16.1.x
> >and 10.0.0.4 which connect via a router to the adsl line
> >My ISP has given me the adsl line
> >and on that the ip-number change from time to time.
> >I do not have any control over this IP number,
> >and it is that which has to be updated to my dynamic dns

> For someone with not much experience, you have a pretty complicated
> setup, with two private, non-routable ip spaces, as well as a dynamic
> routable external ip.  Perhaps until you read much much more
> documentation on the topic, you should look at free dynamic dns
> services like ddns3, and document yourself first on the running of a
> simple dns service for a simple network, then graduate to a network of
> the complexity you are describing.

Well, maybe it is a bit of an understatement that I am new to this.
I can handle named but I do not know much about ddns is what I ment.
Sorry about that.
I want/need to learn it, and that is why I ask.
I looked at setting up via free services,
but feel that it will not increase my knowledge.

I could not say that 3 servers run RH 6 to 8
and one run Mandrake 9.2
I have upgraded my dns to run 9.2X ,
and I prefer tarballs and black screens.
All 4 servers are production servers,
so I need to study a bit before I change anything.

I very much appreciate your response.

Thanks
Mettavihari

--
A saying of the Buddha from http://metta.lk/
Formerly this mind wandered about where it liked, wherever it willed, as it pleased; today, with wisdom (meditation) I shall control it as a mahout controls an elephant in rut.