bind vs. MS DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jun 17 16:40:45 UTC 2004

and Joel <jc517 at wmi.com> replied:

>I'd probably need to reboot to my servers to verify this but according
>to my notes I did this.
>
>set
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\
>        RegisterDnsARecords  to 0
>
>set
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
>        DisableReverseAddressRegistrations  to 0
>
>I get updates for the SRV records but none for the A and PTR records.
>If I do get these updates they happen under the cover of darkness when
>the lights are off and ethereal isn't watching.

If I read the documentation correctly, the registry setting

     DisableReverseAddressRegistrations

is used on any W2k/W2k+3 workstation to tell self-registration to
register only the forward record in DNS.  The reverse record is not
registered.

I know about the registry setting

     RegisterDnsARecords

It controls the registration of the domain "A" record:

     example.com  IN  A  192.168.1.2

There are three distinct DDNS registrations from a DC:

     1) self-registration - just like any other W2k workstation
     2) registration of the SRV records
     3) registration of the domain "A" record.

I can disable 2) and 3) with registry settings.  If I disable 1) via
TCP/IP properties, then I automatically disable 2).  In my case I want
2) but not 1) and 3).
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov