OT: yahoo dns

dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 15 01:24:07 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I realize this is not a bind related topic, but i am unsure as to where
else to post this. Please respond privately with any input.
    I've got a situation where a cable user on a static IP is using yahoo
for dns to resolve two web sites, let's call them www.example1.com and
www.example2.com. The sites themselves are hosted on a FreeBSD 5.2.1 box
that is running apache2, behind an ipfilter firewall. The firewall is set to
forward port80 trafic to the web server which it does just fine, pull up
www.example1.com and you get the first site. Now if you pull up either
example* site from within the network you get each site, however external,
that is requests from internet users, going to www.example2.comm end up on
the first site. I don't think this is a virtual host issue with apache2 as
internally they both work. Also, external requests to either site give the
public IP address vs. the site name in the address bar. My only theory is it
has something to do with the way yahoo handles there dns. If anyone has any
input i'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Dave.