Newbie needs help - non-authoritative lookup, reverse zone

Arthur Penn kalahari875 at netscape.net
Sun Jun 13 21:23:32 UTC 2004

Thanks for your reply. I found a very good article that helped me get
things straightened out
(http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue44/pollman/dns.html). This cleared
up some of the significant confusion I had about setting up DNS with
BIND 9.

Regarding keeping the Mandrake DHCP daemon from overwriting
/etc/resolv.conf, the following seems to have done the trick:
> To override that action edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> (1,2 etc)  and add the line
>
> PEERDNS=no

What is the significance of the line "$TTL 1d" that appears at the
start of named.local? In the example article above, the zone files did
not have this, and BIND doesn't seem to mind--it messages about
assuming a value. Should I set this, and what does it mean?

Also, where do I place the "allow update" text to allow DNS to update
the zone files (or did I misunderstand what that does)?

The zone files I ended up with follow:

[named.local]
@       IN      SOA     pest.supergnat.org. root.supergnat.org.  (
                                      1997022700 ; Serial