DIG - Connection Timeout for one ISP

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 11:09:17 UTC 2004

"Craig Hoskin" <nospam at infobahn.co.nz> wrote:

> When I do a DIG @ the ISP's name server, I get regular timeouts.  When I use
> their stated secondary, timeouts never occur.  EG.
>
> [craig at ns1 craig]$ dig @ns1.argonaut.com.au investorIQ.com.au
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns1.argonaut.com.au investorIQ.com.au
> ;; global options:  printcmd

Looks to me like ns1.argonaut.com.au has problems getting to
the NS/A records for investorIQ.com.au, having to grovel a bit
through the DNS for them due to crossing TLDs without glue:

 investorIQ.com.au.      IN      NS      ns1.infobahn.co.nz.
 investorIQ.com.au.      IN      NS      ns2.infobahn.co.nz.

 infobahn.co.nz.         IN      NS      ns1.mydyndns.org.
 infobahn.co.nz.         IN      NS      ns2.mydyndns.org.
 infobahn.co.nz.         IN      NS      ns3.mydyndns.org.
 infobahn.co.nz.         IN      NS      ns4.mydyndns.org.

ns1.argonaut.com.au claims to be running bind 8.2.3-T6B
which might not be helping; the other server you mention,
ns1.webace.com.au, has bind 8.3.4-REL.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for