Newbie: in-addr.arpa file for a C Class

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 10:45:39 UTC 2004

bela at webnet-x.com (belacyrf) wrote:

> Heres my confusion.  In our DNS server for block 216.X.X we have this
> file:

Are you sure this is the file that is specified in named.conf
for the x.x.216.in-addr.arpa zone?  You aren't for example using
a chroot setup and looking at a different file?

> So obviously if I lookup .10 in this block, I get the associated
> domain.  The odd thing is, when I look up an IP that does not have a
> PTR record I get:
>

> Name:    wsip-216-X-X-9.sub.mydomain.net
> Address:  216.231.10.9

Oooh what a give-away!  So are you actually talking about
10.231.216.in-addr.arpa, hosted on {ns1,ns2}.coxmail.com?

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for