Newbie: in-addr.arpa file for a C Class

Chris chris at nospam.texas.net
Mon Jun 7 22:06:24 UTC 2004

"belacyrf" <bela at webnet-x.com> wrote in message
news:ca2o7q$2l9o$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Can anyone point me in the right direction.  We have a couple reverse
> files 3.2.1.rev for a few of our c classes.  In these files we specify
> the individual reverse entries for each IP.
>
> How do I set up a single in-addr.arpa entry for a full C Class.
>
> For example.  I just want to set up an "in-addr.arpa" file for the
> 3.2.1 c class... I dont want to do it by IP.  If I'm not making sense,
> I'm sorry, I'm pretty new. thanks

Presuming that you mean that you don't want to have to manually create a
mapping for every host, you can put in a GENERATE statement that will
automatically create the records within the file, like ..

$GENERATE 1-254 $    PTR    111.222.333.$.domain.com

Which would then generate 111.222.333.1.domain.com,
111.222.333.2.domain.com, 3, 4, 5 ..etc...

Chris.