CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 4 10:11:01 UTC 2004

In article <c9nv3d$2t5a$1 at sf1.isc.org>, <phil-news-nospam at ipal.net>
wrote:

> But the general reaction I'm getting here is:
>
> 1.  The protocol is the way it is, and you can't change it because your
>     change would violate the protocol.
>
> 2.  You're wrong, just because I say so.

I don't think that's at all fair.  There's a certain degree of
impatience caused by seen-it-all-before-ness and because you don't seem
to appreciate the scope of the changes required to make the DNS work
the way you want it to work.

> And this is going to turn people off from here, and they will go off and
> do their own thing (I'm about to do that).

Please think very hard about that one.  If you start making changes to
the way your DNS server(s) work(s) that's fine, but the DNS in general
works because the procotol is standardised and everyone agrees how it
works.  If you make arbitrary changes to your implementation then you
run the risk of cutting yourself off completely or, possibly worse,
cutting yourself of partially because your non-standard responses
tickle different corner cases in other people's implementations.  The
experts here (I'm not one of them) tend to understand that kind of
issue and you would be wise to listen.

Sam