CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
Fri Jun 4 00:03:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:57:34 -0400 Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

| I think it's pretty obvious what he's trying to accomplish -- it's an
| extremely common situation.  His web site has a dynamically assigned
| address, and he wants users to be able to access it as either
| www.<domain> or just <domain>.  He uses a domain like dyndns.org to
| provide a static name that always maps to the address, but he doesn't
| want end users to have to use that name.

This is about what I am trying to do, except that it involves things other
than HTTP URLs.

| For the www name, he can use an alias:
|
| www CNAME whatever.dyndns.org.
|
| but there's no similar solution for the bare domain.

Not even DNAME?  It has been suggested by two people.  If the zone will
load with DNAME at the root of the zone (it won't need to be anywhere
else), that's past the first hurdle.

| What many people do to solve this problem is find a third party that
| will implement a simple HTTP redirector for http://<domain>, to redirect
| it to http://www.<domain>.

I do that for over 22,500 names already.  See:  http://ham.org/hams.html
for the list.