CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 3 21:57:34 UTC 2004

In article <c9o646$5mc$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Edvard Tuinder <listbind at lunytune.nl> wrote:

> Though the real problem has still not been specified (*why* do you actually
> need this, or think you need this), you may want to take a look at the
> DNAME record. Up to a certain extent, it might do what you need.
>
> Alternatively, if you are the authoritatively nameserver for both domains,
> you could always include the same source file for both domains. The end
> result is that which you seem to desire.

I think it's pretty obvious what he's trying to accomplish -- it's an
extremely common situation.  His web site has a dynamically assigned
address, and he wants users to be able to access it as either
www.<domain> or just <domain>.  He uses a domain like dyndns.org to
provide a static name that always maps to the address, but he doesn't
want end users to have to use that name.

For the www name, he can use an alias:

www CNAME whatever.dyndns.org.

but there's no similar solution for the bare domain.

What many people do to solve this problem is find a third party that
will implement a simple HTTP redirector for http://<domain>, to redirect
it to http://www.<domain>.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA