CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Thu Jun 3 21:14:13 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 06/03/2004 02:19:55 PM:

> |    phil> But it needs to be done.
> |
> | No it doesn't. You may think so. But nobody else seem to agree with
> | you. If you disagree, write up a draft and submit it to the IETF. If
> | they like it, I will be delighted to admit you were right and I was
> | wrong.
>
> I'm not saying you are wrong.  I'm saying that protocols can be made to
> work better, and implementations can be made to work around deficiencies
> in protocols (in the intended functionality).
>
> But the general reaction I'm getting here is:
>
> 1.  The protocol is the way it is, and you can't change it because your
>     change would violate the protocol.
>
> 2.  You're wrong, just because I say so.

To be clear:
My position is that you are more than welcome to change the protocol. I
think others have said the same.  However, it is also my position that I
do not agree with you that the protocol needs changing and I am therefore
not a likely candidate to help you with your changes.  I think others are
saying the same.

> And this is going to turn people off from here, and they will go off and
> do their own thing (I'm about to do that).

I can understand how your position when you are not able to muster support
for an idea.  I am sorry it turns you off.

> | There's clearly no point continuing this discussion. You don't
> | understand why your suggestion is stupid and unworkable. You won't
> | listen when this is repeatedly explained to you. You don't even seem
> | to appreciate your idea has a massive impact on the world's installed
> | base of DNS implementations.

[cipp...]

Dave...