The RFC or the reason why you can not create CNAME record for the "root record"

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
Wed Jun 2 05:13:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:48:14 -0500 Preston Wade <Preston_Wade at hilton.com> wrote:

| It seems that I have sparked some great discussion!  But what I keep =
| going back to is does it even make sense, given the hierarchical =
| structure of the DNS name space, to have records that typically =
| represent host for domains?

Very frequently, when I see someone with a problem, there's someone else
with the same problem.  They seem to come in pairs.  This used to work in
BIND, despite it never being allowed by the RFC.  BIND is now more
pedantic.  But whether it will still work if the authoritative zone still
gives the answer I want it to, or not, remains to be seen.  If there is a
way, I will try to find it.  If it breaks things, I'll abandon it.