domain name entries in a zone

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 2 19:08:55 UTC 2004

In article <c9kuga$2lab$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Preston Wade" <Preston_Wade at hilton.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The primary domain is actually being hosted by someone else.  So in this =
> case this would not work.  However I am using this method for some other =
> domains.
>
> I think a lot of people have missed my point.  I wasn't looking for =
> really looking for more of a philosophical conversation around whether =
> host type records should be allowed for domain names.  Personally, I =
> believe host type resource records for foo.com should have to be made in =
> the com domain.  Not that it would be possible, but given the hierarchy =
> that is how I think it should work.

Why do you think that?  The organization that manages the COM domain
doesn't manage any of the machines or networks in the FOO.COM domain.
Why should they be involved if the address of the foo.com machine
changes?  The purpose of delegation is to assign the responsibility for
maintaining records to the organization that's managing the hosts or
networks.  The only time the parent zone's administrators should be
involved is if something related to the delegation is changing.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA