Newbie needs help - non-authoritative lookup, reverse zone

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jun 2 18:13:37 UTC 2004

Arthur Penn <kalahari875 at netscape.net> wrote:
> Hello all,

> I'm a newbie trying to get BIND configured correctly on my Linux box
> (Mandrake 10.0 Official). I have it successfully resolving queries but
> there are some "issues." Can anyone help with these?

> 1) My box is configured via DHCP and serves as a router/firewall for
> the local network (hostname pest, local bogus domain=supergnat.org). I
> changed the DHCP setup to give out the machine's IP 192.168.71.1 as
> the DNS for the local net. Other machines can query successfully, but
> I think something isn't right because when I query via nslookup on a
> Windows box on the local net, I get the following:

> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.71.1: Non-existent
> domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Default server: UnKnown
> Address: 192.168.71.1

>> cnet.com
> Server: Unknown
> Address: 192.168.71.1

> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: cnet.com
> Addresses: <lists cnet's addresses here>

> How can I fix this? (Conf files follow below)

Stop using nslookup. It's broken. Use dig or host instead.

> 2) I set up a reverse lookup zone to try to resolve names of machines
> on the local net. Since most of the local machines have their IP
> addresses set by DHCP from the router, how can I get the entries for
> these machine names to show up automatically in the zone file?

Short answer : you cannot unless your router updates the 71.168.192.in-addr.arpa
zone with the actual leases. What you can do is set up a zone
with no PTR records ( will speed up resolving time significantly) or with
"generic entries" ; something like :
1	IN	PTR	dhcp-1.supergnat.org.
2	IN	PTR	dhcp-2.supergnat.org.

etc

> 3) I had changed /etc/resolv.conf before to remove the nameservers of
> my ISP that DHCP placed there and use my local DNS, but sometime today
> something overwrote /etc/resolv.conf and put the ISP's DNSes back in
> there. How can I stop this?
DHCPclient does this. If your router is a linux or bsd box you might
elevate ( chflag(1) ) the protection of /etc/resolv.conf

> [/var/named/192-168-71.zone]

> ; Filename: 192-168-71.zone
> ;
> ; Zone file for 192.168.71.x
> ;
> $TTL 3D
> @ IN SOA pest.supergnat.org. root.pest.supergnat.org. (
> 200405291 ; serial#
> 8H ; refresh, seconds
> 2H ; retry, seconds
> 4W ; expire, seconds
> 1D ) ; minimum, seconds
> ;
> NS pest.supergnat. ; naneserver address
> ;

> [/var/named/named.local]
> $TTL 1d
> @ IN SOA pest.supergnat. root.supergnat. (
> 1997022700 ; Serial
> 28800 ; Refresh
> 14400 ; Retry
> 3600000 ; Expire
> 86400 ) ; Minimum
> IN NS pest.supergnat.

> 1 IN PTR localhost.

> [/etc/resolv.conf]
> domain supergnat.org
> search pest.supergnat.org supergnat.org
^^ remove the "search" it does not give you anything.

--
Peter Håkanson