The RFC or the reason why you can not create CNAME record for the "root record"

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 13:27:48 UTC 2004

In article <c9immp$89l$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Preston Wade
<Preston_Wade at hilton.com> wrote:

> It seems that I have sparked some great discussion!  But what I keep =
> going back to is does it even make sense, given the hierarchical =
> structure of the DNS name space, to have records that typically =
> represent host for domains?

The DNS doesn't make any distinction between "host" and "domain" in the
sense you are thinking of.  Unlike most other hierarchies in computing,
e.g. file systems, the DNS can have most types of data at any point in
the tree.  In particular there is nothing that says a "host" must be
named as a leaf node of the tree like a file has to be (in most OSs) a
leaf of the file system directory tree.

To put it another way "domain" is used to mean any name in the DNS, not
just non-leaf-node names.

Sam