Delegation of Authority

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Jun 2 13:08:49 UTC 2004

Mokwena Motseto <MotsetM at sapo.co.za> wrote:

>Hi
>I am trying to delegate authority of a subdomain and the subdomain is
>windows DNS whereas i am using BIND ver 4.9
>domain.co.za
>sub.domain.co.za
>

>I want to know how do i do this, i looked in the DNS and BIND book they tell
>me i have to include a stub record in the named.conf and that is all
>
>where the should the record of the A record of the delegated domain reside
>must it be
>newmachine.domain.co.za or
>newmachine.sub.domain.co.za in the delegated domain
>
>and what else do i need to do

I am not sure I understand your situation.  I assume that you have zone

     domain.co.za

on a BIND 4.9 server and you want to place a sub-domain zone

     sub.domain.co.za

on a Windows DNS server.  I believe that all you need to do is add
this record to the parent

     domain.co.za

zone:

     sub     IN    NS    name.of.Windows.DNS.server.

And you might want to have the BIND 4.9 server be a slave for the
zone(s) on your Windows DNS Server.  I do not know if there are any
interoperability issues with MS Windows DNS Server and that very old
version of BIND.

Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov