Delegation of Authority

Joel jc517 at wmi.com
Wed Jun 2 13:08:01 UTC 2004

David Botham wrote:

> No, forwarding does not override delegation.  If a name server is
> authoritative for a zone, then it will not use forwarders.  If a name
> server is not authoritative for a zone and does not have the requested
> data cached, then it will use its forwarders.  Really, the concepts of
> forwarders and delegation are not related, however, the resolution process
> sort of ties them together...
>
> hth,

No it doesn't help, it only confuses. I'm authoritative for wmi.com
but not lpx.wmi.com. I want to delegate that to another machine. I could
not get it to work until I added the empty forwarders declaration.
Is this a bug in 8.2.2? Does being authoritative for wmi.com mean
you are also authoritative for any subdomains you don't explicitly
delegate to someone else?

I was snooping packets and anytime I'd look up something in the
lpx.wmi.com subdomain it was sent to the forwarder. Anything in
wmi.com stayed in the building.

Can you elaborate on why this might be?

Thanks,
  - Joel