Delegation of Authority

Joel jc517 at wmi.com
Wed Jun 2 12:21:43 UTC 2004

David Botham wrote:

> In the domain.co.za zone db file, do this:
>
> ; Delegate sub.domain.co.za
> sub     IN      NS      ns1.sub.domain.co.za.
> sub     IN      NS      ns2.sub.domain.co.za.
>
> ; Glue for ns1.sub.domain.co.za and ns2.sub.domain.co.za
> ns1.sub IN      A       10.10.10.1
> ns2.sub IN      A       10.10.10.2
>
> The 2 NS RR's are the delegation.  Because the two name servers for the
> new zone end in the parent's domain name, you must include A RR's for them
> in the parent zone file so other name servers can get the IP addresses for
> ns1.sub and ns2.sub.  If the new name servers are in some other
> domain/zone, then, it is the responsibility of the other zone's
> administrator to maintain these A RR's.

I don't think this applies to bind 4.9 but I just struggled with
this same issue myself. The problem I was having was that I needed
to turn off forwarders in my master zone.

	zone "wmi.com" {
        	type master;
        	allow-update {
            	key DHCP_UPDATER;
            	    127.0.0.1;
            	    192.168.1.9;
                    192.168.1.18;
        };
        file "wmi.com";
        forwarders {};
};

It seems forwarders override delegations. At some point I'll break down
and
turn forwarders off globally.

 - Joel