DNS Resolving problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 28 21:18:38 UTC 2004

I'm getting resolution of smtp.polaris.co.in from all 3 polaris.co.in
nameservers, but the queries seem rather sluggish. What's sluggish from
my vantage point on the Internet may be bad enough from your vantage
point to cause a timeout, especially if you're using your ISP's
nameservers as forwarders (thus adding an extra "hop" to your query path).

As for why the "smtp.polaris.co.in" query failed, but the
"polaris.co.in" query (with the smtp.polaris.co.in record in the
response) worked, it could just be the luck of the draw. What might have
happened is that the response to the smtp.polaris.co.in query arrived
just after your nslookup timed out, so it was in your forwarder's cache
already when you made the subsequent "polaris.co.in" query...

                                       - Kevin