problems with bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 28 21:07:23 UTC 2004

Nir Cohen wrote:

>Hi All
>I have a problem with my dns when I do an nslookup from the server
>itself to a site I have no problem but from another computer
>on the same lan when I do nslookup to a site and try to use the dns ip I
>have lots of delay and sometimes its not answering at all.

It's quite likely that your tool (nslookup) is the problem here.
nslookup tries to do a reverse lookup of the address of whatever
nameserver it is trying to use. On the server itself, it is likely
you're configured with 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver address, which is
resolvable if you have defined a reverse zone for it. From other
servers, they are using a different address for the nameserver, and
maybe you don't have that reverse lookup defined. This is particularly
problematic if you're using private addresses (e.g. 192.168.*.*) without
defining the relevant reverse zones (e.g. 168.192.in-addr.arpa), because
then the reverse lookup goes out to the Internet and meets with
hostility (slow or non-responsive nameservers), since reverse lookups
for private addresses should never be seen on the Internet.

                                                            - Kevin