BIND 9.2.3 on Windoze 2000 Professional setup

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Jul 27 23:55:34 UTC 2004

Where did you install BIND to on your Windows box? I think it defaults to
C:\Winnt\System32\DNS

You need to create a named.conf file and put it in C:\Winnt\System32\DNS\etc

That's also where your zone files go (basically). All the executables are
in C:\Winnt\System32\DNS\Bin

I prefer to put them in C:\Bind instead of the default path, but that's
just me. You'll find that the stability of 9.2.3 is not very good under
higher loads on Windows. You'll want the latest 9.2.4rc version to fix this.

At 07:46 PM 7/27/2004, you wrote:
>  I'm trying to set up BIND 9.2.3 on Windoze 2000 Professional.
>  (The port exists, buried in the FAQ.)
>  ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/contrib/
>
>  The service (daemon) is installed, but won't start. This is no
>  surprise, since the configuration files haven't been set up.
>
>The existing documentation seems very sketchy to me.  There is
>info on different configurations, but few clues about the filenames
>where these lines should be added  -- named.conf doesn't seem
>to exist anywhere on the system.
>
>Has anybody out there done this?  I know there would be a lot of
>advantages to just setting up a *NIX box for DNS, but I'm not really
>up to speed on that, although I am starting to build some BSD systems.
>
>  I confess to being a complete BIND newbie, but I really have tried to
>puzzle this out the best I could. If anybody knows of a cookbook for
>BIND on Windoze, that would be extremely helpful

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.