How to find round-robin DNS name?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 27 20:50:32 UTC 2004

Bing wrote:

>I know we have four domain controller servers windc1.my.edu,
>windc2.my.edu, windc3.my.edu and windc4.my.edu.  Is there a way to
>find what their general DNS name is if there is any?  I need to use a
>single general entry name (may be something like windc.my.edu) to
>point to the domain controller servers in my application.

Generally speaking, there is no way to know every name that may resolve
to a particular IP address, or set of IP addresses, without searching
every DNS zone on every DNS server in the planet, which is obviously
impractical. Using some heuristic methods, you might get lucky and
stumble across a particular name that happens to resolve to the
address(es) of interest, but there are certainly no guarantees.

Why don't you just create the round-robin name you want in one of your
own zones and use that?

                                                   - Kevin