Starting bind with query logging enabled

Michael Varre bind9 at kishmish.com
Tue Jul 27 20:08:34 UTC 2004

I have

logging {
        channel query_logging {
                file "/var/log/query.log" versions 3 size 100M;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
                };

        category queries {
                query_logging;
                };
        category statistics {
                default_syslog;
                };
};

In my newsyslog.conf I have

/var/log/query.log      bind:bind       644  5     100  1     Z
/var/run/named/pid

Will log queries to /var/log/query.log and newsyslog will check every hour
to to rotate the logs - that's just my setup on fbsd though.

mv